Drink and Food

Friday, March 16, 2007

Baking Cakes - Creative And Fun Ideas For The Whole Family

I love to bake! I came on the internet looking for new ideas and recipes that I could share in the fun with my children. My boys love to crack the eggs, use the mixer and fight over the beaters! We have all been there. As a child I love to like that mixing tool. And a secret…, I still sneak some baking in after the boys go to bed just so that I get a chance to indulge. I enjoy making cupcakes. After the fight is over and the cupcakes are in the oven we mix up the icing. We make a bunch of different colours. Once the cupcakes cool, we have a decorating party. The boys enjoy this part. They usually eat the icing instead of putting it on the cupcakes. It is so enjoyable to watch the boys use their artistic skills. We also make tones of memories. I am now venturing into a new cake. It was my sisters 35th birthday and I made my first shaped cake. I did not use a “pre made” tin. It was all free hand. I made a wine bottle. I used a rectangle baking dish for the bottle and a loaf pan for the neck of the bottle. I cut it into the shapes needed and trim the edges to make it look like a bottle. I also filled it with cherry filing. You will need glue to keep all the parts together, which I used the icing. After it sat in the refrigerator overnight to harden a bit, I use the icing bag with a Wilton tip #18 to decorate it. It took about two hours to decorate it. It was a lot of fun. To see a picture please visit my blog page. There are a lot of websites on the internet that can help you give your cupcakes and cakes the extra touch that they may need. I have found sites where you can purchase accessories for your cakes. This helps me get my creative juices flowing. These products are inexpensive as well. I also found that it is less stressful to bake if you have the right tools ie: icing bags, tips, icing knifes and all the eatable decorations close by. I am no pro at the art of baking. But I was quite surprised by what I was able to do. My husband has volunteered me to make all the birthday cakes for our family members. For my birthday, the request will be an ice cream cake… my favourite! They are so easy to make. Two quick suggestions for the ice cream cake… 1. You need to work quickly and 2. Make sure that the kids are in bed or there will be no ice cream left for the cake. You can always start with a vanilla base and add anything to it like smarties, oreo cookies, nuts, fruit, etc. There are endless recopies for the ice cream cake. So if you want to bring joy to your children’s heart and make great memories with your family I challenge you to get your fingers covered in fun and try your hand at “creative cupcakes” and “funky cakes”. Let your inner child out and your imagination run wild. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!

No comments: